08 May 2020

Let me count the days

Poems in the time of Corona


Let me count the days
after Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I shelter? Let me count the days.
I shelter all the morn and noon and night
My nerves can stand, as headlines feed my fright
And tell me I should stay here in my place.
I shelter unless shopping just by ways
Of dire need, for wines both red and white.
I shelter wisely, like owls at a height;
I shelter calmly, like bats in their caves.
I shelter with a six-foot rule to use
When I'm outside, for dread of others' breath.
I shelter with a mask I dare not lose
For loss of sense. I shelter fearing death.
Skype, Zoom, are all my life; and by the news
I shall still shelter months: sixth, seventh, eighth....




Support a poet. Buy a book.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging: lyrics of love and loss
Those Footsteps Behind: around the world in 50 poems

No comments: