03 April 2020

Social distancing

Poems in the time of Corona


Social distancing

Downloading
Sensory Perception (version six),

compressed file format,
debugged

of inessential functions
touch, taste, smell,

my system freezes.

For that brief forever time,
I hold my breath alone

in Universe (version one),

my only companion
a rotating blue circle

that curses and chides and mocks
before it sighs inaudibly

and spews up
pixelated thumbnails

of offline contacts;
the white screen of life.

Back in action now,
I update my feed,

my words digested
by webcrawlers

then shat back at me
as personally targeted ads.

One of them wants me
to buy life insurance,

so there's hope, I guess.



Support a poet. Buy a book.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging: lyrics of love and loss
Those Footsteps Behind: around the world in 50 poems

No comments: